We believe that small, collaborative, and cross-functional teams are best equipped to ship the most optimal project outcomes. Within these teams, members of our Engineering group plan and build the code that brings our work to life, helping our clients deploy innovative and digital experiences that support their growth objectives.
As Engineering Director, you’ll help drive our engagements towards clarity and success, ensuring requirements are defined, solutions are explored, and the code we ship is stable, secure, and scalable. While your priority is leading teams across projects, you’ll be equally capable to jump in and get your hands dirty when needed. We’re looking for a candidate interested in the up-front research, planning, and documentation work, as much as the execution of code. You’ll be an advocate for continual improvement through exploration of the latest tools, technologies, and trends, and help articulate to clients how our capabilities and approach help to support their objectives from a technology perspective.
This role is open to remote candidates with preference for Vancouver, Toronto, or NYC.
What You’ll Do
- Lead and manage project teams across the project lifecycle, from scoping to deployment, striving for high benchmarks for quality and performance
- Participate in requirements gathering, scoping, estimation, and roadmapping
- Provide lead technical consultancy within large-scale and complex projects that have architectural and integration requirements (ERP, DAM, WCM)
- Guide teams towards a clear understanding of our clients, their business, and objectives
- Develop and maintain partner and vendor and contractor relationships
- Continually research, apply, and evangelize new technologies, frameworks, services, and approaches to ensure the Engineering team is always advancing
- Engage client-side stakeholders through workshops, presentations, reviews, and pitches
- Manage, lead, recruit, and mentor Engineering team colleagues
- Work with CTO to continually improve and refine capabilities and approaches
- Contribute to thought leadership and events
What You’ll Bring
- 8+ years experience in full-stack web development with 3+ in a management role
- Thorough understanding and experience with CS fundamentals including automation, algorithmic processes, data modeling, and design patterns
- Deep experience planning, prototyping, and developing for web and mobile
- Experience with current tools, processes, and standards including Git, Sass, BEM, TailwindCSS, Webpack, Node, and styleguide driven development
- Strong skills in PHP frameworks (Laravel, Symfony)
- Experience implementing e-commerce (Shopify, Magento, BigCommerce), CMS (traditional/headless), and static site generators (Statamic, Gatsby)
- Understanding of REST APIs and API design
- Experience with database design, solution architecture, and development with MySQL, Postgres, Redis, MongoDB and serverless (AWS, Firebase, Google Cloud)
- Familiarity with secure web app practices (authentication, authorization, encryption), SSL, web application firewall, web service proxy, and multi protocol gateways
- Familiarity with native mobile development (iOS/Android) and mobile app frameworks
- Experience working with QA/release workflows
- Experience in an agile environment, scoping and estimation, and self-management
- Ability to work within PST and EST time zone work hours
About Engine Digital
At Engine Digital, we believe modern business is driven by a focus on the customer and built upon exceptional brand experiences, seamless digital commerce, and frictionless services. It is through this lens that we help our clients to harness design as the foundation for differentiation and a driver of growth.
We’re committed to building a diverse team and to operating an inclusive organization that represents the makeup of our community. We do not accept discrimination on the basis of gender, race, ethnicity, citizenship, origin, religion, age, marital status, disability, sexual orientation, or military status.
No recruiters, agencies, or phone calls please.