Back-End Engineer Wanted
We’re a team of strategists, designers, and technologists, driven by a shared passion for creating digital platforms, products, and services that span web, mobile, and connected spaces. Based in Vancouver and New York City, we’re focused on changing how organizations connect with users in an increasingly digital world. If you’re up for that challenge, you should join us.
We believe that small, collaborative, and cross-functional teams are best equipped to achieve the most optimal project outcomes. Within these teams, members of our Technology group play a critical role in helping to define solutions to our clients’ business challenges.
As an Intermediate Back-End Engineer you’ll both lead and support the planning and implementation of web and mobile platforms and products built on current and emerging technologies. You’ll contribute to defining the project roadmap and approach, helping to see projects through the full lifecycle, optimizing for performance, and testing for stability. You’ll work with a broad range of tools, frameworks, and APIs to ensure we’re always focused on delivering solutions that are optimal over obvious.
Ideal candidates will have experience working in an agency or startup environment, utilizing agile, kanban, and iterative process. You should have experience in Laravel, PHP, Database Architecture, and Unix, a portfolio of work in product and platform for web and mobile, and an ability to collaborate, lead, manage, and mentor.
- Support the planning of project architecture and database structure while utilizing best practices in performance, stability, scalability and security
- Maintain proficiency in a wide range of back-end web development technologies and help identify the most effective solutions to the projects you lead
- Setup and manage services on AWS and other platforms. Our front-end developers will lean on you to design API services, set up deployment servers, and more
- Participate in workshops, roadmapping, scoping, and estimation
- Participate in technical requirements gathering through stakeholder engagement and research and lead the documentation of technical architecture
- Collaborate with engineers, designers, strategists, and QA analysts, both internal and external (client-side and partners)
- Test, refactor, and optimize code to achieve the best performance, and make quality assurance a top priority
- Follow industry best practices and coding standards developed by the agency
- Understand our clients’ business, their needs, and the technical opportunities and challenges that exist within their categories
Required Skills & Experience
- 3-5 years experience in back-end web and mobile development with a focus on custom applications, Linux/Unix and open source including Laravel, PHP, Node, Ruby, shell scripting, database architecture, and Unix operating systems
- A clear understanding and working experience with CS fundamentals including automation, algorithmic processes, data modeling, and design patterns
- Experience with database design, solution architecture, and development with MySQL, MongoDB, Postgres, and cloud hosting with AWS, Azure, and Heroku
- Experience integrating with web services APIs via JSON and REST
- Experience planning, prototyping, developing, and testing for web, mobile/tablet, IoT devices, VUI, and other digital platforms
- Experience working with open source and enterprise CMS (WordPress, Adobe Experience Manager, Drupal, and Custom CMS)
- Able to implement ecommerce platforms (Shopify/Plus, Magento, BigCommerce), payment gateways (Stripe, PayPal, Authorize.net), and merchant account providers
- Experience in behavioral and test-driven development, continuous integration and delivery, agile, and working with Git code repositories
- Familiarity with secure web application practices (authentication, authorization, encryption), SSL, web application firewall, web service proxy, and multi protocol gateways
- Familiarity with native mobile development and mobile app frameworks
- An interest and general understanding of machine learning and AI
- Digital agency or startup team experience preferred but not required
- Degree in Web Development or Computer Science preferred but not required
- Candidates should be residents of Vancouver or willing to relocate and able to travel
In addition to an exceptional company culture, we offer the following benefits to all employees:
- A welcome kit, a MacBook Pro, and all the tools you need on day one
- Personal learning budget for classes, events, and conferences, and access to General Assembly, Treehouse, Udemy, and One Month to help you expand your skills
- Winter holiday break in addition to 3 weeks vacation time to start
- Office snacks, coffee, tea, beer, and monthly birthday celebrations
- Holiday parties, happy hours, and team building activities
- Health and dental coverage
- Offices in two of the best cities in the world – Vancouver and New York City
- An incredible global client list including some of the most recognized brands
- Focused yet casual work environment in Mount Pleasant and close to public transit
How to Apply
If this sounds like a fit, please apply through our online application form. Only candidates with an online portfolio or work samples may be shortlisted and contacted. Please clearly state your personal contribution to each project submitted. If you have a Github profile, blog, or other online projects, please send those URLs along too. Extra attention will be given to creative candidates who are active online.
No recruiters, agencies, or phone calls please.
Visit us at www.enginedigital.com